Military/Overseas Voters

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) works to ensure Service members, their eligible family members, and overseas citizens are aware of their right to vote and have the tools and resources to successfully do so - from anywhere in the world.

If you are in the Military or an American Overseas, you can vote absentee while living away from your voting residence. Please visit for further information or click here to request an absentee ballot via the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). Absentee ballots are transmitted to UOCAVA (Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Act) voters no later than 45 days before a federal election. Those citizens protected by UOCAVA include:

  • Members of the Uniformed Services (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps)MilitaryVote
  • Members of the Merchant Marines
  • Eligible family members of the above
  • U.S. citizens residing outside the U.S.

When should I request an absentee ballot?

You should send in a new FPCA every January and each time you move. We recommend that you send in an FPCA at least 90 days before the election in which you want to vote, but even as deadlines approach we always encourage you to submit as state laws vary and you may qualify for a ballot containing only federal offices.

Do I have to send in a separate application for each election?

The FPCA allows you to request an absentee ballot for all federal elections in the calendar year. Depending on your state, you may receive a ballot with local or state offices and initiatives as well (e.g., Governor, City Council). We recommend that you send in a new FPCA every January and each time you move.

Common Questions Regarding the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) PDF